Crown Paints is one of just a handful of companies to have achieved the prestigious Investor In People Gold award.
Presented for outstanding performance, the accolade puts Crown in the top tier of UK organisations to make the gold grade.
At the time of their assessment, just over three per cent of organisations nationwide had achieved the status – and in the north of England only 19 were noted from a manufacturing-related sector.
Investors In People North of England has singled out a wide range of activities for praise, including Crown’s pioneering approach to corporate responsibility, described by the assessor as ‘well ahead of the curve’ in areas including sustainability, community involvement and charitable support.
A strong team ethic, a working environment that creates a feel-good factor and the company’s supportive approach to work-life balance have also been commended.
Investors In People assessor, John O’Sullivan, said: “The achievement of the Gold recognition is thoroughly merited, as Crown has demonstrated many of the characteristics associated with high performance workplaces and world class people management.
“The assessment represented a first class example of an organisation achieving sustained levels of high performance through its people.
“It was clearly evident that people believe it to be a great place to work.
“An example is in the way Crown handles low employee turnover. Due to the fact the number of people who leave the company is well below the industry average, a consequence is that opportunities for career progression via the promotion route can be limited.
“However, in response to this, Crown has adopted an excellent approach, which focuses on giving individuals additional responsibility, such as training instructor and safety representative roles, as well as providing the necessary support and development for multi-skilling opportunities.”
The Investors In People Gold standard joins a wealth of other accolades achieved by Crown in the last 12 months, including the Supply Chain Sustainability School Gold standard, the Sustainable Innovation Award from the British Coatings Federation, the Sustainable Business Award For Large Companies from the Lancashire Business Environment Awards and Insider’s Green Manufacturer of the Year title.
The European Business Awards has also announced that Crown Paints is to represent the United Kingdom as a national champion in its prestigious 2013/2014 awards programme.
Crown Paints also supports a variety of good causes, working with organisations including the East Lancashire Hospice and Blackburn Youth Zone. At a national level, for more than 30 years it has also championed the development of skills in the painting and decorating industry with Crown Trade Apprentice Decorator of the Year programme.
Joe Devitt, Managing Director of Crown Paints, said: “Achieving this gold standard is a testimony to the hard work and commitment of the team. We are delighted all this hard work has been recognised with this award.”
About the IIP Gold Standard
- As at March 2013, there were approximately 695 Investors in People Gold accredited organisations in the UK, representing 3.58% of all IiP accreditations nationally
- As at 18.06.13, there were approximately 356 Investors in People Gold accredited organisations working with idg*, predominantly in the North of England – of these, 19 were noted as from manufacturing related sectors
* idg delivers Investors in People in the North of England
About Crown Paints:
- Crown Paints is owned by Danish decorative and protective coatings company Hempel, who employ over 5,000 people and operate in more than 80 countries.
- Crown Paints is the Holder of the Royal Warrant by Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen, as Manufacturers of Paints.
- Over 1,250 employees work for Crown Paints, which is based in Darwen in Lancashire, with manufacturing sites in Darwen and Hull, which operate to ISO 9001 accredited quality management system and ISO 14001 environmental management system.
- The company also has a network of 133 Crown Decorating Centres spread throughout the UK and Ireland.
- Crown Paints serves every sector of the decorative coatings market, promoting its market-leading paint and woodcare brands – Crown, Sandtex, Permoglaze, Macpherson, Sadolin and Berger – to consumer and professional audiences alike, as well as key export markets.
- Crown Paints has been making paint for over 200 years.
- Crown Paints is committed to delivering its sustainability targets and its work in this field has been recognised at several regional and national awards. The company is also able to measure the carbon footprint of all of its products and has met its targets of achieving zero waste to landfill.